In the midst of a $46 million renovation scheduled for completion in Spring 2008, the new Brooklyn Children's Museum will reverse its most recent look. Located at the northwest corner of Brower Park in the heart of Crown Heights' landmark district, BCM was established in 1899 at the Adams House in what was then Bedford Park. An award-winning 1977 redesign successfully achieved a "minimal presence on the street," with one of two stories underground. The new design already stands out. Workers recently began installing 540 curving plywood fins that will cover the exterior walls. Ultimately, 80,000 1" x 1" daffodil-yellow porcelain tiles will cover the fins, giving the expanded Museum "an undulating appearance."
Brooklyn Children's Museum site:
Brower Park history: